Friday, May 23, 2014

Newly Fermenting (Scottish post-regionalism?)

Nope, just almost done with a new, this time (seemingly) successful batch of Sandor Katz's Vinegar de Pina.  And this one used only '100% British-grown Sugar' you know what that means kids.  Yep, beet sugar.  You'd have to be pretty dumb to brag about beet sugar, it seems to me, even knowing that it was NOT shipped over some large body of water, and harvested by toothless brits in tractors (so the drawings on the bag pointed toward) without machetes or delicious-ness at all, or that 500 grams of it was only like 70 pence... how this place lost the shilling, so sad (but this!! how they did it!!!), such a more poetic monetary division... doesn't not make the not-caneness any better, but its just for vinegar right?  But still...

Almost 3 weeks ago.  A fateful day.  We also began some kraut (enshrouded in the rear), but here in all its (their?) glory, some pineapple skin chunks (left out the bottom bit, always a bit moldy, didn't want a repeat of last time) in some sugared-water.  Also used a glass as a sinker (half a bottle imp?), to keep down the potential for surface growth, 



Things moved a little slowly (compared to last time), the pineapple skins had been in the fridge for a day awaiting the last day of the beautiful flowers Em had confiscated from some park or other that had been occupying this vase; which may or may not have anything to do with anything.  But after 10 days there was a bit of yeasty sediment (not pictured above), so after straining out the skins, developed this lovely cloudiness. [pictured here...

and here.]



After about a week, between stirring every couple of days, noticeable small formations, seemingly animalcule? could be seen floating on top.  Definitely not fuzzy, almost look like little mothers in Kombucha.



Still nice and cloudy....


This morning, pre-stir, the happy little vinegar things are seemingly happy and overall developing a little nicer of a color.  I remember the other batch being a little more yellow.  If my iCrap camera (it's true, it's not Scottish) and Scottish light (which is always good... there is a view out our kitchen windows that most days looks like the opening of the Simpsons, the perfect little puffy clouds on a too blue sky.... incredible, need a better camera... anyone have a Leica M they'd be willing to hand over?).

I'll put up some tasting notes next week when it's all through and ready for the fridge.  Hopefully the Kraut will be a bit closer and I'll put some photos and notes about that up as well, before it gets all stewed up with some beautiful pork pieces...

I hear that there is some stirring beginning on the 'Mimesis' front... anyone for some Ancient Greek Readings... (more soon)

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for the tasting notes! I've wanted to make the vinegar for awhile now, but keep forgetting. I've got some mango chutney on the counter now. I'll take some photos.

    I like this blog being a fermentation and mimesis destination.

    ReplyDelete